Hey, books are written about it. Coaches tell their teams to have it. Rappers brag about how much they have. But, it does not matter what you call it. Without confidence you can’t, get a date, win a game, make a sale or lead a team.
Listen, I learned as a young man, playing basketball, confidence could inspire a team and intimidate an opponent.
When confidence was applied to other areas of my life, I found that it helped in almost every situation. Being prepared, having high energy, a positive outlook and articulating a vision - created results personally and professionally.
But… I faked it. Yup, it’s true.
I faked confidence until I really developed it. As I was developing my sales skills, I lacked the confidence I needed. So to get it, I wrote a quick list and focused on 11 items to build my confidence every day:
- Be positive, lift yourself and others up.
- Don’t put you or anyone else down
- Have high energy
- Focus on success – celebrate my success and others
- Failure is not an option – adjust quick
- Differentiate from others - hone a unique selling proposition (USP) that creates conversation
- Know my products and services inside and out
- Understand my target market and competitors
- Set high standards and don’t accept mediocrity
- Hold others who are aligned with me - 100% accountable to effort and execution
- Tactics may change but the vision and strategy must be clear and maintained.
“Not conceded, just convinced.” ~ Run D.M.C (My RUN DMC don’t be an ‘Asshole’ rule)
Hey, I want to make sure we do not confuse arrogance and confidence. Arrogance is a turn off. An arrogant person is an Asshole. (sorry for the explicit lyrics).
Confidence, however, is a turn on. Confidence and conviction is inspirational. Great leaders need confidence, and confidence attracts elements to make you more successful.
Your “swagger”, commitment, energy and attitude; will inspire confidence in both your clients and your team.
"Confidence is contagious. So is lack of confidence." ~Vince Lombardi
When you are prepared, you are confident. When you are confident, you are ready for success.
Put swagger and positive attitude in your business. Be your best!